Events & Zoning
Welcome to the City of Apache Junction! The city encourages community gatherings and organized activities to promote civic and cultural diversity, community involvement and the promotion of the city. We are pleased that you are planning to hold a Special Event in Apache Junction, and we look forward to working with you to ensure it is a tremendous success!
Carefully review the criteria listed below. If your event meets any of these conditions, you must obtain a Special Event Permit. If after reviewing the list you are unsure whether your event will require a Special Event Permit, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 480-982-8002.
highlights tax compliance requirements for special events in Arizona
Arizona is well known for its year-round events, including farmer’s markets, festivals, fairs, craft shows and rodeos. A staple of all of these occasions are numerous vendors that offer customers a wide variety of goods and services. The Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR) reminds those who host these events and on-site sellers to heed the potential tax compliance requirements for these events. Read more..
An event is an activity or gathering which meets any of the following criteria:
1. Use of or impact/encroachment on any city street, sidewalk, alley or other right-of-way area (which includes any indirect impact that will affect the flow of typical vehicular or pedestrian traffic).
2. Is likely to draw a crowd to a venue not properly suited and has the potential to require special accommodations, regulations, traffic control devices or public service personnel.
3. Presence or participation of any for-profit or non-profit vendor that intends to make a sale, advertise for sale, solicit sales, offer for sale, distribute business/organizational information, or provides a service or offer/advertise to provide a service and is not already properly licensed to do so by the City of Apache Junction.
4. Will require the approval of 2 or more city departments for inspections, assistance or permits.
Types of Events
- “Community Event” means an activity or gathering not exceeding 4 consecutive days in any calendar year which is conducted, organized and sponsored by non-profit organizations or for-profit organizations and is open to all participants on an equal basis. Such community event shall have the purpose of promoting or benefiting the city and its residents and/or sponsoring organizations.
- "Civic Event" means an activity or gathering not exceeding 4 consecutive days in any calendar year which is conducted, organized and sponsored solely by the city or in conjunction with a non-profit organization, has been approved as such by the city council during the annual budget process and which is open to all participants on an equal basis. Such civic event shall have the purpose of promoting or benefiting the city and its residents and/or sponsoring organizations.
Downloadable Information & FormsEvent Vendor Process
Businesses located within the city limits are required to obtain zoning clearance. A Zoning Compliance Certificate is required to ensure that the business is being conducted in a properly zoned area. At the time of application the license staff will route the zoning information to the Planning Division. The planning staff will then notify the License Division of the approval or denial within 5 business days.
No license may be issued until the Zoning Administrator has provided verification that the business is in an approved zone.