Parks & Recreation
Over the last two months, city staff have been following the guidance of health officials regarding implications of the spread of COVID19 in our area. Out of an abundance of caution and to support social distancing recommendations made by the CDC, beginning Thursday, March 19th, Apache Junction Parks & Recreation will take the following measures:
City-run programs and events
- Following CDC and Arizona Department of Health Services recommendations, large events will be cancelled, at minimum through April, and longer as necessary.
- Most recreation programs will be suspended at all facilities until further notice. Program participants will be contacted regarding the status and given the option of a credit or refund.
- Spring Break Open Gym will continue until the last scheduled day, March 20th.
- Senior programs, congregate meals, and transportation has been suspended. Drive-thru and delivery options will be available for seniors who need meals. Contact the senior desk to sign up for your meals and receive more information 480-474-5260
- For seniors who need help with transportation, please inquire about our ride-reimbursement program for important trips.
- Home delivered meal services will continue in place
Multi-Generational Center (MGC)
- The MGC will be closed, but Parks & Recreation staff will be available by phone (480-983-2181) or email at email@example.com; Monday-Thursday (7am-6pm) and Fridays (9am-1pm)
Parks and outdoor spaces
- All City parks remain open at this time. While parks are cleaned and maintained on a regular basis, we encourage all park users to take charge of their own personal health by following the CDC guidelines we have shared below.
- Existing facility reservations are being assessed with customers/organizations on a case-by-case basis and will follow CDC recommendations. No new reservations will be made until more information is received from public health agencies.
- MGC memberships will be temporarily suspended until health officials recommend allowing gatherings. Any members who would prefer to receive a refund for the remainder of their membership, may do so by emailing Larry Binion at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Staff will be contacting individuals directly for program and facility rental cancellations. Refunds or credits will be available as necessary. If you have not received a call, or have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Please be patient with our staff as we process refunds and credits for our families.
The Parks and Recreation Department encourages families to get outside. We will be sharing on our facebook page ways you can stay healthy, recreate with your family, and keep active. Rest assured, we are planning and preparing our facilities, parks, and programs for summer programming, and hope to see you soon!
Looking to see what other Cities and Towns in Arizona are doing, click here.
What you should know about the Coronavirus
STAY CALM: There have been a limited number of cases identified so far in Pinal County and Arizona at large. Avoiding widespread panic and fear is essential to limiting the negative effects of a possible outbreak.
TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
INFORMING CHILDREN ABOUT COVID-19: Remain calm and reassuring, remember that children will react to both what you say and how you say it. Avoid language that might blame others and lead to stigma. Remember that viruses can make anyone sick and teach children everyday actions to reduce the spread of germs.
Mission StatementThrough exemplary performance, the Apache Junction Parks and Recreation Department provides quality services to an entire community with diverse recreational programs and an integrated, efficient and safe system of parks, trails and recreational facilities. To accommodate growth, the department also promotes visionary leisure opportunities and community partnerships in a progressive, innovative fashion, while demonstrating appreciation for a sensitive environment.
Now residents can register for our activities a multitude of ways! They can register online, in our office, or via mail-in. You can visit our Activity Registration page for more details.
Do you want to be an instructor for a parks and recreation program? Do you have a skill that you would like to share? Give us a call or fill out a program proposal form and stop by. For more information contact the Apache Junction Parks and Recreation Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 480-983-2181.
Program Proposal Packet