Small Business and Non-Profit Grant Assistance Program
The Apache Junction City Council, on July 14, 2020, approved Resolution 20-23 establishing the Small Business and Non-Profit Grant Assistance Program. The program was approved during a special meeting to address the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the community and its economy.
“We have seen how the virus outbreak has hurt our mom-and-pop businesses and non-profits in the city,” said Mayor Jeff Serdy. “This program is meant to try and help them all, which in turn helps the entire community.”
The council set aside a little more than $1.2 million of the city’s CARES Act funding for the program, earmarking $200,000 for the non-profits and the rest for small business.
Applications will be accepted between July 21 and Aug. 25. Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis until funding is exhausted or the grant period closes.
Under the program, businesses and non-profits can apply for up to $10,000 (exclusions and requirements apply) to cover rent, utilities, personal protective equipment (PPE) and other required modifications due to mandates related to the virus.
Submit an Application
Download Application here or pick up in person from the Economic Development Department on the 2nd Floor at City Hall (300 E Superstition Blvd, Apache Junction, AZ 85119).
Frequently Asked Questions
Download PDF here.
Most questions are answered in the following FAQ’s. If you have additional questions or require clarification, assistance is available by calling (480) 474-5076 or (480) 474-5071 Monday – Thursday, 7:00am – 6:00pm. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My business has an Apache Junction mailing address. Am I eligible to apply for the grant?
Only businesses and non-profits located at a physical, commercially-zoned address within the Apache Junction Incorporated City Limits are eligible. Businesses and non-profits in county islands or outside the city limits with just an Apache Junction postal zip code are not eligible.
What other qualifications must I meet to be eligible for the grant?
If your business or non-profit meets all of the following criteria, you may be eligible to receive this one-time reimbursement grant from the City of Apache Junction.
• Located at a physical, commercially zoned address within the Apache Junction city limits (no home-based businesses).
• Held a valid City of Apache Junction business license on or before March 1, 2020 and continue to be in good standing and still in business at the time of application.
• Are not a company-owned franchise (also known as a corporate chain). Franchisees with multiple locations are eligible only for those locations within the City of Apache Junction.
• Can provide documentation that business income/sales have been reduced by at least 25% or donation/service demands for non-profits have been impacted by at least 25% due to COVID-19 starting in January through date of application submittal.
What expenses are eligible for the grant and for how much?
Only the following expenses (in any combination) will be considered (total maximum of $10,000 per business or non-profit) as a one-time reimbursement:
• Up to four month’s rent/mortgage (April, May, June, and/or July 2020).
• Up to four month’s utilities (April, May, June, and/or July 2020) which includes water, electric, internet, gas, and sewer.
• Expenditures for Personal Protective Equipment (“PPE”) or required business modifications due to COVID-19 mandates and expended during the months of April, May, and/or June 2020 (i.e. installation of plexiglas, social distancing signage, disinfectants). The total amount of reimbursement request for this category may not exceed $750 and is to be calculated as part of the total maximum reimbursement of $10,000.
I don’t rent. I own my building and pay a monthly mortgage. Am I eligible to get reimbursed for the mortgage payments?
Yes. Mortgage payments can be considered for reimbursement so long as all the other qualifications are met and supporting documentation is submitted.
If I run my business out of my home can I apply?
No. Home-based businesses are not eligible.
Are non-profits eligible to apply?
Yes. Non-profits are eligible to apply so long as all the other qualifications are met.
When can I apply?
Applications will be accepted from July 21, 2020 through 6:00pm (MST) on August 25, 2020. Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis until funding is exhausted or the grant period closes, whichever comes first.
How do I apply?
Applications (available July 21, 2020) may be accessed through a fillable pdf available online at www.ajcity.net/AJSBGrant. Printed applications (also available July 21, 2020) will be available at the front desk at City Hall, Economic Development, 300 E Superstition Blvd, Apache Junction, 2nd Floor Monday – Thursday 7:00am – 6:00pm.
All completed applications and supporting documents can be submitted any of the following ways:
• Via email to email@example.com
• In person Monday – Thursday 7:00am – 6:00pm at Apache Junction City Hall, 300 E Superstition Blvd, Apache Junction, 2nd Floor/Economic Development
• Mail to City of Apache Junction, Attn: Economic Development/AJSBGrant Program, 300 E Superstition Blvd, Apache Junction, AZ 85119
What documentation do I need to submit to show my business or non-profit incurred an expense?
Copies of invoices, receipts, bank statements, lease, mortgage statement or other documentation proving that the business or non-profit incurred and made payments for eligible expenses will be required. Incomplete applications will be returned and processing delayed. And, only those reimbursement requests with sufficient documentation for eligible expenses will be considered for reimbursement.
What do I need to submit to show the minimum 25% negative impact on my business or non-profit due to COVID-19?
The most adequate documentation will include professional business financial statements that can show what typical sales/income for impacted month(s) were as compared to previous periods i.e. 2019 income statements/balance sheets compared to the same month(s) in 2020. For non-profits, if the impact was an increase on demand for services by 25% or more, data for those services provided will also be considered.
When will I know if my grant is awarded?
Once a complete application is received, a review committee appointed by the city manager will make a decision within ten (10) calendar days from receipt of a complete submittal. Checks will be processed shortly after an approval decision is determined. Applicants for grants not approved or requiring additional information will be contacted by city staff promptly.
I own multiple businesses. Can I apply for assistance more than once?
If those businesses are separate legal entities and meet all of the eligibility criteria, you may submit a separate application for each business to be considered.
What if I don’t have an Employee Identification Number (EIN)/Tax ID?
In Arizona, sole proprietors with no employees can use their social security number (SSN) as an EIN.
Is this a loan or a grant? Will I have to pay the money back?
This program is structured as a grant and there will be no expectation that the funding be repaid to the city. It is offered in hopes to mitigate the disruptions to business due to this worldwide pandemic and is intended to help businesses and non-profits recover and restart.
What if I already received Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) funding or other loan(s) or grant(s) due to COVID-19?
You are still eligible to apply even if you’ve already received other funding that has been made available to small businesses and non-profits due to COVID-19. The application does request you provide this information but for data collection purposes only. You can still apply and be approved for the grant so long as all the other qualifications are met.